Thursday, August 12, 2010

Holiday in the sun

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth, I've been on vacation!

First Big Chimp and I went to San Diego Comic-Con, where we attended lots of panels, including ones on writing, editing, Batman, Dexter, and Harry Potter. It was AMAZING! I also acquired way too many books, including a few signed ones, like Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon (who moderated a super cool panel on the young adult genre), and The Prometheus Project by Douglas Richards.


Another huge highlight was seeing Ray Bradbury speak about libraries, writing, and the importance of colonizing Mars:


And then there was the ultra cool Grant Morrison:



The next week, we left on a California road trip, which included LA, Yosemite, San Francisco (where I acquired even more reading material from City Lights Books), Monterey, Big Sur (where we revisited the Henry Miller Memorial Library), and Santa Barbara (Yeah UCSB Gauchos!).

By the end of the trip I had accumulated eight new novels and six new graphic novels, as well as a 1928 Underwood Portable typewriter (an awesome birthday gift from my best friend—thanks Audrey!). We had to check an extra bag:



In short, it was the best vacation ever.

Now, back to writing this book!

3 comments:

  1. While you protest the thought of becoming an English teacher (or maybe just the thought of that being all you could do), every time I read one of your posts I see a person whose passion and interests would make her a great one, especially in grades 6-8. Just saying, and I wouldn't say that to anyone if I didn't mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeff! I know that means a lot coming from you :). I admire people who choose to teach, but I don't think I would have the confidence to face a class full of kids every day.

    ReplyDelete